- ABC did not play Shakira's performance before the game. Instead they were too busy playing their commercials. Do they not realize that the WC final is a celebration? Luckily, I flipped to the Spanish channel just in time to catch it and tape it. I still have the song in my head...and you know my hips don't lie.
- The game was action-packed from the beginning, with a PK in the 6th minute. A sign of things to come...
- The Italian goal was awesome, and made me think that they were a better team...at first.
- The game was going fine until Italy made a second penalty in France's box, but the ref didn't call it! The announcers said that it was even more of a penalty than the first one, but it was still not called. Interesting, considering that Italy has clubs on trial for putting refs in their pocket. If the penalty was called, Zidane would have scored another PK goal and France would have won the final 2-1.
- In double overtime, Zidane's shirt is pulled by Materazzi, the 2 exchange words, and Zidane turns around to head-butt Materazzi in the chest! This wasn't seen by the ref, and while one of his 3 linemen did see it, he did not say so until after it was broadcast on the big screen. It is against FIFA rules to give a red card based on a broadcast. Whether or not any of the linemen actually saw the head-butt (he he), Zidane was given the red card and ended his 18 yr long career. Why did he do it? What could he have gained? Was it worth it? Should he have been given the red card, assuming the linemen did not actually see it? If he had not been given the red card, Zidane would have stayed for the PK shoot out. He would have made the goal that Trezeguet missed, and France would have won the final.
- If France had been granted the PK I talked about in the 2 bullets ago, Zidane would have been remembered forever as the hero who scored 2 goals in the WC final to give France its 2nd victory. But instead, his legacy is tarnished, and he did not even leave the locker room to get his silver medal. I believe France should have won the WC, but a series of bizarre events in the final game prevented that.
Sunday, July 09, 2006
World Cup Final
As requested, here are my thoughts on the World Cup Final 2006: