Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The Line Up

Here's my lineup of schools I'm applying to:

Baylor College
Boston University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Loma Linda University
New York Medical College
Texas A & M University
Texas Tech University
Tufts University
Tulane University
University of North Texas
University of Oklahoma
University of Southern California
University of Texas, Galveston
University of Texas, Houston
University of Texas, San Antonio
University of Texas, Southwestern

My top choice is UT Southwestern, followed by everywhere else in TX. For the out-of-states, my top choice is USC (I have family alumni), followed by Boston and Tulane. I finished my TMDSAS app today, but I'm afraid to hit the submit key. They have my transcripts and MCAT scores already, they just need my app.

Here are my EC's:

TA General Chemistry Lab, Scribe for Internal Medicine Group, President of Metro Mustangs, Member of Sigma Tau Delta and National Society of Collegiate Scholars, SMU University Honors Program, English Departmental Distinction Candidate, Beecher Senior Scholarship for Excellence recipient from SMU English Department, Bronze medalist at HOSA National Competition, AP Scholar with Distinction, Teach Farsi and Islamic Studies

Let me know if any of you want to read my personal statement and optional essay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

With your GPA and MCAT...how come you didn't apply to any DO schools?

prettydoc said...

DO's can't practice in Iran.

Anonymous said...

You become a doctor to help people, not for the social status or recognition. DOs can do everything an MD can.

prettydoc said...

Your noble words have converted me. I will now apply to TCOM. Thank you, citizen. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey thats so cool that you want to go back to your home country and practice. That's what I want to do too (go back to Iraq.) But do you think it will go against you if you tell the schools this during your interview?

prettydoc said...

Well, I plan to make it clear to them that my first priority is to serve my state, but that I also want to provide humanitarian aid to Iran and Afghanistan. These are two countries where there are not enough women docs and women are often too embarrassed to see a doctor. I think if you said you wanted to provide aid to Iraq the adcoms would like it. Americans sympathize with Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan as places that need strong role models.

Anonymous said...

I just hope people won't say they are interested in helping out in iraq, iran or afghanistan without actually having prior extracurriculars that would suggest this as a logical goal. Otherwise this type of claim might sound suspiciously like a ploy to get into medical school rather than a demonstration of actual interest in serving these challenging areas abroad.

prettydoc said...

Well, sure, that's true for any claim. You have to have evidence to back it up. Nobody just says they want to serve South Africans if they haven't actually met a South African.

Anonymous said...

Then can you please tell me how can I prove it to the people that I really want to go back [B]permentaly[/B] to my hometown? I really cant think of any way. How? By signing a contract right in front of them?

prettydoc said...

I only said that because the person asked if wanted to serve the Iraqi people in his/her home country would be looked down upon by the adcom. I said that if you told them that that was what you planned to do in the future, they would actually like it, not count it against you. I wasn't encouraging lying, just being honest w/o fear of punishment. As I said before, I agree that being Iraqi is not enough to be convincing. This person already said that they wanted to go back to Iraq for good and serve his/her people. They're just trying to be honest about their future career goals.

coco jumbo said...

hey, I am visiting your blog for the first time, and i just read your line up thing, I am interested in reading your personal autobiographical letter, as I am hoping to do medicine as well. Hope you reply back and give some suggestions!

Anonymous said...

you can put high school stuff on the application? ap scholar??

anyway, let her apply to md if she wants. i think she has a chance, a lot of ppl get in with those scores.