Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Michael Phelps: 8 in 08

Some of you may remember my Michael Phelps post from 2004. Reading it now, I realize that not much has changed at all. Michael is still "humble, cute, fit, kind, determined, and a team player," except now he's the GREATEST OLYMPIAN EVER! That's right, Michael has done what no one has ever done before: win 8 gold medals in a single Olympics. And he has more gold medals than any Olympian in the history of the modern games. And he's not even done! He's going to compete in London in 2012 and no doubt get even more medals.

Not only am I so proud of him, but since 2004 I have felt this connection with him. These past four years were like Olympic training for medical school. And now that I am here, I am actually achieving the goals that I had made for myself in childhood. In 2012, I will graduate from medical school and become a doctor, which to me is the ultimate gold medal. Michael and I were both nerds who got tormented and bullied in school, who are now achieving our dreams and making a difference. Of course, I am not operating on the scale of Mr. Phelps, but he has inspired me for so long to keep going through the tough times and let the negativity of others fuel me to keep going.

Congratulations, Michael. I know that your hard work and dedication will continue to inspire me and others around the world to live up to their full potential and, perhaps, exceed it.

No comments: