Thursday, August 19, 2004

First Day

So my first day of school went pretty well. I went to work and got out at 11:30. When I got to school, it was raining and I had no umbrella. Yeah, didn't look so cool right then. When I got in the lounge I was so happy to see all my friends. Then I got really happy because now are school has a Subway!! The only downside is they got rid of the Pizzeria (they had great pasta) and the deli (they had great panini). So now my options are Subway or Chick-fil-a. Ah, sweet capitalism. I got a couple, "wow Maryam you look really different" type comments throughout the day, which was kinda cool.

My first class, Victorian Genders, was interesting. The professor had sent out an email telling everyone to bring the course pack to class for discussion. The thing is the bookstore doesn't carry it. So she asked, how many of you don't have the course pack? and everyone raised their hand. It was really funny.

So we got out of class 20 min. early. Then I went threading with my new found time and head home for a 15 min break. Then I head to UTD for my physics lab. The lab is taught by a TA, not a professor, which is new for me. He seems nice.

The coolest thing was that I went in thinking that I wouldn't know anyone in there, but I did know someone. This one girl from my high school who's half-Persian half-American. I was talking to my mom on the cell phone and she turned a corner and said, "I thought I heard someone speaking Farsi." She just transfered to UTD from UT and her older sister just started Baylor Med after graduating from MIT. I was like, thank God I have a good lab partner. She's good at math, so that's good for me. Hopefully tomorrow will be just as good as today...and no more rain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

first day's are the main reason im glad i finished school. and well.. right now i cant think of a reason why id rather be in school. i guess the dynamic flow of work is pretty attractive. paid work is typically pretty stagnant.