Monday, August 16, 2004

Let's Get Ready to Tumble

I haven't blogged in a while because I've been glued to the Olympics and working since the games began. Today's been my first day off work in 7 days, and I spent it at Baylor where my mom was having surgery. We're home now and she's ok, but it was a long procedure. The thing I like most about the Olympics is that it inspires me to be the best and really focus on perfection. That Michael Phelps, he sure is something. I also like how the Olympics let's us forget about politics, well it did until the Iranians got involved. See, the reigning judo world champion is an Iranian; he was actually the flag-bearer at the Opening Ceremonies. When it came out that he would have to compete against an Israeli in the Olympics, the Iranian government said it was against their policy for any of its athletes to compete with "Zionists." So they forced him to gain weight so that he would be disqualified at the weigh-in. It was either that or publicly pull out so he chose the quieter path. (The same thing happened with the Morrocco soccer team at the 1968 Olympics). The thing is, even the Israeli team agreed that he was a better judo-er and would most likely have won gold. The Israeli publicist went on to say how he feels sorry for the poor guy cuz now he's lost that chance. I do too. I think that kind of behavior goes completely against what the Olympics stands for: putting aside political differences for 2 1/2 weeks and focusing on things that nations have in common, like athletic prowess.

No comments: