Saturday, August 21, 2004

Jamie Kennedy's SMU Experiment

After classes yesterday, I had lunch with some friends and head back home. I relaxed until around 4:30 when I grabbed my sis and we head back to SMU. I swung by the bookstore and picked up an essay, a book, and a course pack. The course pack was $40!! I'm gonna just photocopy all of it and return it. That's way too much. We got to SMU at 5:30, but found out they weren't gonna do the Taste Dallas carnival until after Jamie's show. So we head over to Snyder Plaza to find food, but there wouldn't have been enough time to sit down at a restaurant since the show started at 6:30. We came back to SMU (and a better parking spot) and had some Chick-fil-a. Then we went to the show and sat with Ric.

The opening act came out first. He was this very large man who was not very funny. He basically got booed off the stage and people kept yelling, "You're not funny, put on Jamie!!" Then Jamie came on. Everyone got excited. The first half of his show was really rolling-on-the-ground funny. But then the second half came. See, I go to a pretty conservative school, and the second half was all sex jokes...graphic sex jokes. Nobody laughed. It was dead silent. The worst part was when he brought out this rapper and together they wrapped about the greatest of the "left tit." And then he told all the ladies to get up and shake their left tits. Everyone looked around to see who would get up and no one did. So then Jamie kind of made the "cut it out" motion with his hand and said good night and left. I think he should have checked out his audience first and just kept making jokes like his first half.

Afterwards, we went to the Taste Dallas Carnival. Everyone was scrambling for free T-shirts. I grabbed one and a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. I missed Maggiano's Tiramisu, but I got to try a lemon cookie. The response to the pizza from Cafe Nostra was amazing too. Kiss FM was there but weren't gonna give away anything for a while except for Napolean Dynamite posters and chips. We head back home at 8:30 happy and satisfied. It's not often that we get to do things alone together, and luckily this night was worth the trip.

No comments: