Thursday, July 22, 2004

Hi everyone! Today I got up early to visit my O Chem professor. I bought him a chocolate bundt cake from Corner Bakery as a thank you for being so great this summer. I told him my story about my O Chem odyssey with Dr. Biehl and then my professor mentioned how he (my professor) was on the Health Professions Advisory Committee of UTD. He said that he thought there was nothing wrong with taking concurrent courses at 2 universities since UTD and SMU are considered pretty much equal in the eyes of med schools. He also said that he would be happy to write me a recommendation letter in the spring. Yippee!! Incidentally, his class is the first college science lecture class I've made an A in (I've made A's in labs). Right now my science GPA is 3.1. I calculated that if I get an A in Physics 1 and 2 + labs and my A&P online course I'll have a 3.4 science GPA come med school app time! (most people strive for a 3.0 sci GPA. I'm so excited about all this stuff. I'm really turning my grades around. I'm shooting for a 4.0 this term. Tomorrow I head back to work. I think I may be training someone, but I've been gone for 2 months so I'll see how it goes. I'm currently in the market for books. Here are the ones my fall classes require.

Fall 2004 Textbooks

CF 3314
Readings include:
1) Roland Stromberg, European Intellectual History since 1789; half.com 16.79
2) Albert Camus, The Stranger; half.com 3.99
3) Edmund Gosse, Father and Son; half.com 5.78
4) Heda Kovaly, Under a Cruel Star; half.com 6.90
5) J. D. Watson, The Double Helix; amazon 3.50
6) Arthur Koestler, Darkness at Noon; amazon 3.64
7) Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own;
8) Emile Zola, Germinal;
9) Robert Graves, Goodby to All That;
10) Primo Levi, Survival in Auschwitz;
11) Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, The Communist Manifesto;
12) George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia.
ENGL 3305

Texts: Lunsford and Connors, EasyWriter;

Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. I (7th edition);

Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

ENGL 3341

Texts: C. Brontë, Jane Eyre;

E. Brontë, Wuthering Heights,

Gaskell, North and South;

Hardy, Tess of the D’Urbervilles;

Ibsen, A Doll’s House;

Hughes, Tom Brown's Schooldays;

Course reader with selected poems, essays, and contemporary criticism.
Psyc 3341
Textbooks:
Brehm, S.S., Kassin, S.M., and Fein, S. (2001). Social Psychology, Fifth Edition. Boston: Houghton-Mifflin.
PHYS 1301
Physics, 6th edition, by Cutnell & Johnson
BIOL 2404
Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology by Elaine Marieb, current edition.


On : 7/25/2004 3:08:21 AM persianguy (www) said:

Hey, good job with the grades! Maybe you could find a decent husband, if you weren't so damned....

Good job. Keep it up!

On : 7/25/2004 10:54:24 AM gp (www) said:

haha.. persianguy..

what class is homage to catalonia for? thats a fantastic read. looks like a great class.

Maryam: It's for Social and Intellectual History of Europe

No comments: