Sunday, June 27, 2004

I got a new computer! It's a Sony Vaio, one of the new black ones with the "water cooling system." The only problem we've been having is that we want to network it with the other 2 computers we have. We've been having a lot of trouble, so if any of y'all know how to do wireless networking I would love it if you could help me (oh please, oh please, oh please!). We called Linksys troubleshooting and guess where they're located: India! You'd think a 1-800 number would at least be in the US.



On : 6/28/2004 7:17:48 PM diego (www) said:

i can help you out. send me an email or IM me to let me know what the problem is.

On : 6/29/2004 12:56:05 AM gp (www) said:

i forget what they call it, but all companies are doing this... tech support overseas sourcing (not what they call it) to india and bangladesh. sun and ibm did it.. why not linksys? a lot of people here are jobless now. whats to do...

On : 6/29/2004 5:57:32 PM diego (www) said:

the word you're looking for is outsourcing, gp. Dell made headlines because of outsorcing too. I had a first-hand encounter with their India tech support one week. It took about 16 hours of phone calls for them to send over a new hard disk for the PC I was troubleshooting.

On : 6/29/2004 7:47:43 PM gp (www) said:

its not outsourcing. outsourcing is when a company "leases" their employees as consultants.. this is something different.

On : 6/29/2004 9:00:48 PM Will K (www) said:

pete, I am sorry you are incorrect. :P
Outsourcing is when a company replaces a previously inhouse division with an outside service.

On : 6/29/2004 10:39:16 PM Maryam (www) said:

I'll settle this impartially: Webster's definition of outsourcing is "the practice of subcontracting manufacturing work to outside and especially foreign or nonunion companies." Interpret that as you see fit.

On : 6/30/2004 7:06:32 PM diego (www) said:

so did you ever work out your wireless network problems?

On : 6/30/2004 8:39:39 PM Maryam (www) said:

Oh, yeah I did. Thanks for your offer, Diego.

On : 7/2/2004 3:56:00 AM gp (www) said:

offshore outsourcing (or offshoring) was what i was looking for. and yes i was mistaken.

On : 7/2/2004 6:32:05 PM Maryam (www) said:

I love a man who can admit when he's wrong. It shows strength. You get a big hug from me, gp.

No comments: