Saturday, December 20, 2003

Hi everyone. Last night was awesome. I went to a party at the girl's house that I go to school and work with. She lives in Heath, TX, which is six miles outside of Rockwall. Of course, living in Plano that's an 1 hr. to 1 1/2 hr. drive. So I arranged to drive to another friend's house in Garland (1/2 way point) and then she drove me to Heath (she was also a guest at the party). When we drove on the bridge crossing Lake Ray Hubbard I felt like I was on some road trip across an ocean or something because you rarely see a waterfront view in Dallas. Rockwall was a pretty good size city, sort of like Richardson, but Heath was another story. Heath has NOTHING besides houses, and the houses are 1/2 mile apart. Basically, we drove the 6 miles out of Rockwall to Heath on a tiny one lane road with no shoulders or guard rails. One turn of the wheel and we would have rolled down a hill and never been found. Scary stuff. When we finally got to the hostess's house, we found it to be HUGE. It was like a palace. It was right on the lake and was surrounded by gates with her family's initials on it. It was three stories with 5 living areas and a guest house. I was surprised to find a house like this in the middle of nowhere. There were 15-20 people at the party, and I was surprised that I knew about 10 of them. One guy there had even gone to my high school. It was a potluck, and the hostess had asked for us to bring ethnic food. I brought Salad Olivia, a Persian dish which is basically potato salad and chicken. My friend who drove me brought hummus and babaghanouj. Needless to say, we were the big hits of the party, since everyone else's idea of ethnic was chocolate cake and pizza. The hostess was Egyptian, so we put on some Arab music and we danced a bit. My friends were surprised at my proficiency at bellydance since I'm not Arab, but they were mostly grateful that I was eager to participate instead of being a wallflower. I snapped pictures with my camera phone. If you email me, I might send you some. Then we all played Taboo, which is fun with a big group. Another one of my friends on my team was getting really competitive (think Monica on Friends) and I was getting caught up in it too. Unfortunately we lost, but it was still really fun. Of course, then we had to call it a night. I was really proud of my hostess for throwing such a fun party with college kids without ever needing to mention alcohol or any of that stuff. Whenever I want to throw a party for the Commuter club at school, the kids always say they want to bring beer. That just makes me sick. You don't need alcohol to have fun and last night proved that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

No comments: