Thursday, April 01, 2004

OK, here's the email I sent the premed advisor at my school:

I hope you are doing well. I know that this is a busy time of year for you, but I was hoping you could give me some advice. Last term, I made a C in O Chem 1 and a B in the lab. I had difficulty with Organic Chemistry 2 this semester (my test scores were 60, 65, and 50). Thus I dropped the course and want to retake it this summer at another campus. I am an English major and a Pre-MD. I am also currently a BA Biological Sciences major, but I am considering changing that to a minor. Therefore, this class is unnecessary for my majors, so transferring the course to SMU is a non-issue. I want to take O Chem 2 at either UTD or Collin County Community College. UTD offers it as an 8 week session, while CCCC offers it as a 6 wk Summer 2 session. I feel more confident that I could make an A at CCCC, but I don't know how it would look to a med school adcom if I took this course at a CC. Do you think that UTD or CCCC would be a better choice for me?

Here's her reply:

You may want to think carefully about the Organic Chemistry and reasons why it didn't seem to go well. There may be some questions about taking it over the summer, no matter where you do so since you dropped the class this term. Are you taking another science? What is your Math/Science GPA? I would recommend a four year school at this point, but the grade you plan to earn is only one issue. I think you will need to clearly demonstrate the ability to handle a challenging academic schedule -- demonstrate to yourself and to an admission committee. This is busy, but let's see if we might find some time to talk during the week of the 15th of April.

Um, thanks for wasting my time, lady. I hate premed advisors. They're good for nothing. All I wanted to know was UTD or CCCC. Instead she had to drag it out and make it into something it's not. I don't want to talk to her. All she'll do is tell me I'm stupid and should give up my dreams. It's a strategy she's famous for. She gets everybody to drop premed so that the school will have a high acceptace rate to med school. Last year 8 students applied and 6 got in. She was able to wittle 150 premeds to 8. It's all a huge scam my school is running. I don't trust this lady. I'm going to consider her email as a vote for UTD and move on.

No comments: