Thursday, February 26, 2004

Hi everybody (Hi prettydoc!)...sorry, I've just always wanted to be Dr. Nick Riviera. Anywho, today was a long day which I blame on the 1/2 hr longer than class is scheduled O Chem lab today. We were doing Diels Alder Reactions: great on paper, SOBs in real life. Plus I burnt my finger on the MelTemp apparatus. Curse you and your hot metal! Well, before lab I was sitting with some commuter homies, and I realized something. See, they were talking about something that I can't relate to due to lack of experience of any kind: sex. Specifically, that as part of a relationship. It's strange how something like that can make you feel like sort of an outsider. I mean, I am in that regard. But it isn't just that I lack experience, it's that my view of it and its place in relationships is completely different from theirs. I'm not saying either view is better or worse than another; they're just different. Now I know that if I were to have made a contribution on the matter, which I didn't, there would not have been much for me to say. I would have just said, "What till you're married," and sounded like a prude or their mom. That's the last thing I want to sound like. I want to relate to my peers, but sometimes it just seems like we can be so different. I really do embrace differences. Maybe I'm not making any sense; in order to do that I may have to say the whole conversation, and I'm not going to do that. I've been in positions where I've alienated people because of this, and I don't want that to happen. But I'm not gonna pretend I know anything about it because I don't. Something tells me I should just keep my mouth shut. I was doing a really good job of that until it got to a topic where I thought I could relate and then I tried and realized I misunderstood and looked like a bigot or something and...oh to hell with it all! Who cares? Y'all probably already think I'm preachy enough as it is.



On : 2/27/2004 9:52:28 AM prizonerofscience (www) said:


On : 2/27/2004 3:52:35 PM Jenny (www) said:

hmmm. I know exactly how you feel Maryam. Life blows immsely when you aren't able to join in common everyday conversations. Sadly sex is a topic that comes up all to frequently and, like youself, having no experience per se i cannot join in and feel left out. I do agree that sex is something that should go on primarily between married couples, but i also know i do not want to be the fool not having a clue on my wedding night... sigh. But then again, lack of prospects makes this and even sharper reality.. double sigh.

On : 2/27/2004 4:08:46 PM prettydoc (www) said:

Plus when you tell people how you feel about, their reaction is as if you're an alien or something. They act like it's not a viable alternative to wait until you're married. It's not a crazy new-fangled idea. That's why I just try and stay out of it.

On : 2/27/2004 5:27:42 PM diego (www) said:

here's my 2 cents worth on this subject. ok, i'll admit it, i'm a virgin. and i plan on it staying that way till i'm married. other than my religious beliefs, i don't really have anything impeding me from having sex b/f that time...i guess waiting is just something i've always thought of as normal. don't feel bad if other people have a lot more experience than you - everything has its time and place. there's no use in rushing into something. besides, i can't really see the pleasure in having sex w/ someone you just met at a club or bar or something like that. that's just the act of sex for the sake of the act - it doesn't mean anything. sex should be so more than just that.

oh and on the comment jenny made about not having a clue on your wedding night - if the person you marry truly loves you and isn't a virgin (and i hope they truly love you, cuz otherwise what's the point of getting married) then they'll be understanding and guide you through. that's another thing - if both partners aren't enjoying it, then you probably shouldn't be engaing in it.

end or rant.

On : 2/27/2004 5:49:03 PM prettydoc (www) said:

Plus, if you're both virgins, it will be the best sex you've ever had!

On : 2/27/2004 6:15:47 PM diego (www) said:

haha. uh yeah i guess

On : 2/27/2004 6:39:09 PM gp (www) said:

commuter longue orgy...

On : 2/27/2004 8:03:13 PM prettydoc (www) said:

Ya know gp, Will was telling us about the orgies at your school. Sounds like a roaring good time in Boulder.

On : 2/29/2004 10:06:14 PM Jenny (www) said:

*shivers in disgust* ewww! well i liked the comment about best sex, it is so amazingly true