Sunday, February 15, 2004

I went to a luncheon today. It was thrown by this woman whose husband just back from his pilgrimage to Mecca. Therefore, there was a lot of primping being done at my house. It's so funny how us girls run around like chickens with our heads cut off while my dad just puts on a suit and watches CNN. I had rollers in my hair, while blowdrying and putting on makeup at the same time. Plus I was taking off and putting on so many clothes carefully so as not to upset the rollers. In our culture, appearance is everything. A family is often judged by the beauty of its daughters. That's why when I arrived at the luncheon, I was not surprised to see that the college-age girls (who all go to community college for what it's worth, btw) had nose jobs recently done. It seems that everytime I go to one of these things somebody's had something done. People who say hi to me will often examine my face to see if there's been a change and look relieved that I'm the same person. I've never changed my hair or my face. The only alterations I've ever made to my appearance is color contacts (they're very natural and tasteful, most people don't even notice) and makeup (also pretty low-key). My hair is the same color it was 20 years ago in 2 weeks, the night I was born in Bristol. The only primping I do is curling/blowdrying my hair, setting my clothes and accessories, and doing my own makeup. I'm a simple girl with simple tastes.

No comments: