Monday, February 16, 2004

So I took my English test where we're given 6 excerpts from texts we've read and have to write about 4 of them in one hour. I wrote about William Blake's The Chimney Sweeper from Songs of Innocence, Mary Wollstonecraft's Vindication of the Rights of Women, John Keats's Ode to a Nightingale, and William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell. They're all great reads; I love Romanticism. We're moving on now to Victorianism. It's my other specialty, but my heart really is rooted in Romanticism, both generations of it. If you want social commentary, go to the first generation, but if you want escapism, go to the second generation. Second generation Romantics were often intrigued by the Middle East, seeing it as exotic a la Arabian Nights. There was even a poem modeled after that story, Thomas Moore's Lalla Rookh. Of course, we never read about that part of Romanticism in my course. It's very Euro-centric. My school says that they have a course on Persian poetry, but they won't give me a course name/number for it. Sounds a little fishy to me.

On : 2/17/2004 11:22:33 PM persianguy (www) said:

oh god, english is so damn subjective.