Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Remember that Cell Bio test I thought I aced? Well, I got a 70. Couldn't be farther from acing. The weather totally blew this morning so I got to O Chem 20 min late. I found out that my 10 and 11 am classes are canceled on Friday. That means I'll be free from 9-12 that day. Maybe I can use that time to play pool with Diego. I might even get Krispy Kreme for the lounge. Key word: might. When I was in my Brit Authors 2 class, Prof Newman wrote "cockney" on the board and said that it reminded her of the Beatles, although it was used incorrectly b/c they were from Liverpool not London. Then Prof Bozorth suggested that Davy Jones of the Monkees would be a better example of cockney. I fought the urge to jump up in the middle of class and say, "Davy Jones is from Manchester, not London! A better example of cockney is Eliza Dolittle (Audrey Hepburn) in My Fair Lady." I knew if I did, not only would I sound like a smartass, but I'd have to explain that I'm from Bristol, etc. Then they would ask why I don't have an accent and by the time I finished explaining my life story, class would be over. Bozorth was very proud of his connection, but Newman said, "If you don't know who the Monkees are, don't worry. You're not missing anything." It was like she stomped on my heart! I love The Monkees, especially Davy Jones. I've been a huge fan ever since I was 13. I know that sounds a little unbelievable coming from a 20 year old, but it's true. Then I hung out in the lounge, where I had a blast. It was a lot better than Monday, thanks to Diego shushing the nonstop talking guy. Then I went to Developmental Psych and learned about Sexual Maturation. I know, too much info. Well, I had to pick up my sister from school today b/c my mom had to go to this thing all afternoon. So I braved the crappy rain all the way to Plano, picked her up, and when I got home I realized that neither of us have a key. So I waited for the bus to drop off my other sister, and she didn't have a key either. So we stayed in the car in the driveway for 3 hrs doing homework. Well, they did homework, I slept after beating myself up about what an idiot I am. Then when my mom got home and finally let us in from the cold, she gave me a talking to. I admit that I deserved it, but I had already beaten myself up enough. I do to myself what no one could ever do to me. Luckily, my mom had already made her world-famous lasagne that morning (best white sauce ever!), so we enjoyed that while watching Smallville. After that, we watched The OC (first new episode in 3 weeks). The best part was when Seth was introducing Summer to the wonderful world of comic books. In case you didn't know, comic books are another passion of mine, esp. DC. Well, he said all comic enthusiasts must read "The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, and The Sandman." OK, I have the Dark Knight Returns, and Watchmen and Sandman (Midsummer Night's Dream one) have been on my wish list since July. Then Seth, Anna, and Summer were watching Batman: The Animated Series and the episode they were watching was "Girl's Night Out," the one where Batgirl and Supergirl team up cuz Batman and Superman are out of town or something. Get this: I have that episode on tape! Can you believe this? It's like this show has been following me around on my odyssey to become a comic book afficionado and chronicled it's rise just for me. How cool is that?! Next thing you know, they're gonna watch Justice League and Lois and Clark. I can't believe I got to revel in 2 of my greatest passions in one day! If only it didn't have to be on the same day as 2 of my greatest downers.

On : 2/12/2004 7:36:11 PM diego (www) said:

I'm game for pool. Ben probably is too, since he asks me to play almost every single day, hehe.

On : 2/12/2004 9:08:34 PM sara (www) said:

too bad about your cell bio test. I'm planning to take a cellular physiology class next fall, I hope it isn't at all like cell bio. Another famous cockney accent is Michael Cane, I think he grew up on the East End. How long did you live in Bristol? I'm from Kensington! When did you move to the US? I've lived here nearly 10 years, & I only have my accent if we go over there to visit for a while, or if I'm really sleepy. Yeah MTV! (that's how I learned my "American" accent)

On : 2/12/2004 11:43:19 PM prettydoc (www) said:

I lived in Bristol for 6 months, then lived in Iran for another 6 months, then moved to Dallas, TX. I don't have an English accent; mines more a product of my parent's accents, TX drawl, and learning English from Sesame Street. I agree, Michael Caine is a fine example of cockney.