Friday, March 19, 2004

"Ladies, you know what I'm talking about. When a man gets in your soul, and he won't let go!"

Wow, J. Lo, that sounds painful. Anyhoo, tonight is Persian New Year, better known as Nowrooz. After I thoroughly embarrassed myself in front of one of Persian homies (he'll never look at me the same way again), I figured the damage had been done, and it was time to tell him about this site. Hi there! So, tonight is the biggest night in our culture. It's starting to lose the excitement that it use to bring me, but I think that's true for any holiday. I know that once the clock strikes 12:48:30 am I'll be just as excited as I was when I was a little girl in my new dress waiting to get her $20 from the Koran. Ah, holidays are so nice when you're young.



On : 3/19/2004 6:46:14 PM Will (www) said:

Qur'an, holder of all things sacred, US Currency.

On : 3/19/2004 8:00:33 PM prettydoc (www) said:

It signifies that the money is "clean money" and blessed by God so that we can use it in good conscience. Only observant Muslims use their Qur'an to hold it. Other people will either just hand out money or place it in their own respective holy book (Avesta [Zoroastrian book], Taurat [Torah], or Injeel [Bible]).

On : 3/20/2004 12:02:50 AM gp (www) said:

this reminds me of the first time i got drunk... it was at a passover dinner and i was drinking cup after cup of sweet manishevitz wine. i was twelve years old and i woke up with a hangover.

On : 3/20/2004 1:29:35 AM prettydoc (www) said:

HAHA! You know, today our place setting is called "Haftseen" because we use 7 items starting with "S" or "seen". But in the old days, it was called "Haftsheen" and was made up of 7 items starting with the letter "Sh" or "sheen." One of these items was "sharab," or wine. Well, then Persia became Muslim, so no more alcohol. That's when Haftsheen became Haftseen and the rest is history. So before, there were plenty of Zoroastrian kids getting drunk off the sharab!