Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Scar tissue that I wish you saw, Sarcastic mister know it all...

The scar tissue on my soft palate makes it really hurt to talk. Ugh, at least it's a good reminder of a song from one of my favorite albums of all time, "Californication." I was just reading the lyrics (I haven't heard this song in years) and don't remember them being so graphic before. Oh, well, it must be my old age. I'm thinking about getting back on the old Slim Fast plan. Since my mom has been having tooth problems, she's been drinking those shakes. Seeing those familiar cans takes me back to my senior year of high school. I used to drink those puppies during AP English and while I walked to the library during lunch to study. Yes, a far cry from Chick-fil-a in the lounge. Our office manager at work is on the Slim Fast plan and it's a lot different now than it was back when I was on it. Now they have all sorts of bars, ice creams, soups, and even pasta. It's almost like you're not on a diet at all. It would be easy to stay on at school (they sell those stuff on campus), but my only deal is if I could follow it when I'm working at the hospital. I can barely stay alert as it is, the last thing I need is to faint cuz I'm hungry. Maybe I can follow it on the other days and keep my strength up on those 2 days I'm at work. Sigh, I have to figure something out. I'm thinking of ordering the Bellydance Slim Down DVD, too. I love the Arms and Abs workout, and Pilates is just getting too easy and boring. I don't feel like I'm working everywhere like I would in a cardio workout. Now that I'm part of a fast-paced commuting lifestyle, staying fit just isn't as easy as it used to be.



On : 3/10/2004 6:45:20 PM gp (www) said:

don't eat less. if anything, eat more and do more to stay at an ideal weight. but what you eat is important. no fast food. avoid ridiculous amounts of sugar (ie. two servings of dessert a week, eat fruit instead). avoid eating late at night, and if you have to, make it something natural and easily digestable. the problem with many of those slim fast things is that they substitute things for fat and carbohydrates that are believed to be much worse than fat and carbohydrates. make sure you know whats going into your body before you put it in there. im not one of those trustafarian assholes that only shops at co-ops, but i do ingredient shop like an asshole. a good rule is to avoid foods with ingredients that are difficult to pronounce. saturated fats are to be avoided. if this means you cant enjoy life, then dont listen to me, but its really easy to buy 100% fruit juice instead of the sugary substitutes.
speaking of food, i really want enchiladas right now. i hate colorado. =(

On : 3/10/2004 9:11:36 PM prettydoc (www) said:

That's funny, cuz my sister made enchiladas for dinner tonight. Thanks for the advice, gp. I just have such a crazy schedule balancing b/t school, work, and the endless driving I seem to be doing. It makes it hard for me to eat the way that I want to.

On : 3/10/2004 11:53:47 PM gp (www) said:

im on campus for long hours with no lunch break, so i hear where you're coming from. i usually make a huge sandwich with lots of meat and cheese and some good fresh vegetables. always a banana or an apple, sometimes i bring a protein bar if im going to be too busy to get a proper dinner. also, i always have a big bag of nuts and dried fruit. this week its pistachios, peanuts, raisins, hazelnuts and chocolate chips... just to give you some ideas. its not that difficult to eat healthy on the run unless you just dont like eating this kind of stuff.

On : 3/11/2004 5:26:58 PM prettydoc (www) said:

I like the trail mix idea. It would be great for me to carry around in my scrub pocket while I'm on rounds. It's hard to keep my energy up running around at 6 am.