Saturday, May 15, 2004

Warning: Major estrogen-infused post

I just underwent 4 hours of waxing. There's nothing more humiliating than standing half naked for four hours while your skin is being ripped apart by hot wax and muslin strips. Sometimes I hate being a girl. Being a woman can be summed up in one word: pain. Emotional pain comes because we can feel more than men. Men have the ability to forget trauma, but women hold on to everything, every coarse word, every harsh glare, every indiscretion. It just stays inside and eats and eats away at her soul. Physical pain comes from various beauty treatments (waxing, threading, tweezing, electrolysis, etc.), menstrual cramps (could they find a more understated word to describe an agony that leaves me floored?), and labor pains (Kate Chopin called childbirth "the torture"). Pain, pain, and more pain is all that awaits a baby girl. Her life will be spent trying to figure out how to hide her inner pain and how to endure her outer pain to finally become stronger. Of course, there are more sources of pain than these, but I don't want to go into them right now. A Freudian would say that I am obviously suffering from penis envy, but I offer the argument that women undergo suffering period. (OK, so the pun wasn't intended when I wrote it, but I like it and I'm leaving there.) I'm not saying men don't suffer, they have their own problems. But the suffering that women endure on a daily basis is very different, much more consistent, and omnipresent. Do you know what it feels like for a girl?



On : 5/15/2004 5:25:48 PM Will (www) said:

Nothing can hurt, if you dont let it. Even those "cramps" . Its all in your mind. :P

On : 5/15/2004 7:05:21 PM prettydoc (www) said:

Yes, tell my prostaglandins and uterine contractions that it is all in my mind. You wouldn't last a day as a woman. You have enough trouble being human.

On : 5/15/2004 9:10:48 PM Jenny (www) said:

sorry will, am not even gonna hazard to back you up on that one. i have spent more than enough days curled up wiht a hot water bottle and high levels of motrin in my system trying to get over my uterus' rebellion against existance within my flesh. I'm just shocked you didnt try to blame all men's problems on the ones women suffer!

On : 5/16/2004 11:18:42 AM prettydoc (www) said:

Sisters stand strong! Don't let the Man get you down! Girl Power! (Uh, let's try to erase that last one from our memories)

On : 5/16/2004 1:35:28 PM Jenny (www) said:

bad memories of insane madly curly afro-like hair and way too high shoes! noooo! and the ginger one..... ahhhhh!

No comments: